Are you a mother and worried about what you should eat during breastfeeding? Then this article is for you. Here, we will tell you all the diets that are important for you as well as for your baby.
RESEARCH FACT: 65% of the mothers are worried about what diet can increase their milk. It is usually in the case when your doctor asks you to avoid some things that you can’t digest.
For your ease, we are telling you a few tips!
If you plan a diet according to these tips, your milk will surely increase. Then it will not matter what food you are eating.
What The Mother Can Eat During Breastfeeding:
Every mother should follow these tips if she wants to increase milk:
- Use of protein diet about two or three times a day. The foods that have proteins are all types of meat, eggs, dairy products, beans, etc.
- Take vegetables three times a day. These vegetables are maybe dark green or yellow.
- Daily, eat a bowl full of fruits two times.
- Add grains into your food. Daily take wheat bread, cereals, oatmeals, and pasta.
- Most mothers feel thirsty when they are feeding their babies. So, they can drink enough water. But remember, water intake is not involved in more milk production.
- The instructions that a doctor gives to the pregnant woman are not allowed in the breastfeeding stage.
PRO TIP: If you are taking vegetables on a daily basis, then it is good for milk production. If you are not taking meat, then you should take iron and zinc from other sources. Then you should use B12 to ensure that your baby will not have B12 deficiency.
How Much a Mother Is Allowed to eat?
Here, we will tell you that as a mother, how much you should eat for you and your baby:
|At the Initial Stage of Breastfeeding:||You need to take additional calories. If your baby’s weight is not enough that he is required, then you should take calories to increase your milk.|
|For the primary six months after birth:||You want to take 500 to 600 calories in a day.|
|After six months:||Your baby starts eating other things, so you don’t need enough milk, and you can reduce calories intake.|
Does Taking Supplements Are Important for Baby and Mother Health?
Healthy food allows them to take in a lot of routine toddler activities. When you talk about breastfeeding, then you need to make healthy nutrition.
There are several questions about taking supplements. The answer to all these questions is that you can use supplements to get the required vitamins and other nutrients.
You can see several causes why a new mother doesn’t have enough nutrients. These are not taking proper diet, more energy demand for milk production and also care of the baby.
You can use supplements with nutrients that a mother requires that are very beneficial. But it is crucial to know which supplement is best for the mother. There are several supplements containing herbs and other things that are not good for feeding mothers.
PRO TIP: We recommend you to buy the product from a famous brand that sends their products for checking by a 3rd party.
If you have a deficiency of vitamins and minerals, then multivitamin is the best option. It is true that after delivery, a woman is deficient in vitamins and other minerals.
PRO FACT: According to research, it is concluded that deficiencies can’t distinguish in the mother and later affect her.
So, taking a multivitamin daily is the best idea for mothers. If they think that their vitamins intake can’t be fulfilled from the diet, then they can take a multivitamin.
- Vitamin B-12:
It is a good vitamin that is very useful for you and your baby while breastfeeding. It is a water-soluble vitamin.
- Women that only take vegetable diet
- Women with gastric bypass surgery
- Those who are using some medicines.
If you think you are from one of the above types and don’t take the B12 diet. Then using B-complex and B12 supplements is the best option.
PRO TIP: Always remember that good quality multivitamins have enough B12 that can easily fulfill your needs.
- Omega-3 (DHA):
Omega 3 is the important nutrient that every mother needs.
If you take a lot of omega 3, then you have a lot of it in your milk.
Your milk requires omega 3 for the better growth of your baby. So, take enough omega 3 for you and your baby. It is good for the feeding mothers to take about 250-375 mg omega 3 DHA. Further also take the same amount of other omega 3 fat, EPA.
PRO TIP: As suggested by UNICEF, if you don’t want to take supplements. Then you can eat 8-12 ounces of fatty fish, especially salmon and sardines. It will fulfill your need for this mineral. Further, you can also use fish or krill oil supplements for your body’s needs.
How Can a Mother Share Nutrients Through Milk with a Baby?
If you are not taking a good diet or nutrients, then the quality of your milk is badly affected. It is also dangerous for your health.
So, it is necessary to eat good quality, nutrition full and healthy food. Don’t use caffeine or alcohol and use a recommended diet. It will help your baby to grow faster and healthier.
- DHA is a vital Omega 3 fat that babies need to develop the nervous system. You need to eat fatty fish three times a week. It can increase the DHA level in your breast milk. You can take DHA from:
Avoid eating the following fish because they contain too much mercury.
- King mackerel
- Whichever food you eat has color and brings Balancing nutrition and health. It may be natural such as vegetables, or maybe artificial such as dyed food. If you take any food of any color, your milk will turn into that color.
- Every food has a different flavor. So whatever you eat has a flavor in your milk. Your baby can enjoy every flavor of milk.
- You eat spicy foods that produce gas. Your baby commonly bears it. Suppose your baby doesn’t tolerate gassy foods and suffers from diarrhea. Then you need to notice which food is dangerous for your kid.
PRO TIP: So avoid using that food for some weeks and then again use it. Then see if your baby can tolerate it or not.
Breastfeeding can decrease your chances of developing some serious problems. These may be heart diseases and diabetes. Further, your milk contains many important nutrients that are beneficial for the growth of the baby.
PRO TIP: It is true that you need enough energy and nutrients to produce maximum milk for your baby. So, it is important to perceive food that has enough nutrients.